I was just on the phone this morning with an MSP who was telling me all about “the good old days.” He said that back when he started his company in 1995, lead generation was easy. He was first to the jump on the web “land grab” at the time and found great success.
“If you knew what you were doing back then from a marketing perspective, things happened very quickly,” he said.
Search engine optimization (SEO), paid Google ads (PPC), buying email lists from brokers, and sending out a few blasts … that’s all it took back then to make a big splash and get the phone to ring off the hook.
So, what happened?
Well, the short answer is that competition happened. As companies realized that there was a land grab going on, the wide open spaces of the World Wide Web quickly transformed into the cramped quarters of San Francisco.
With overcrowding comes higher prices, fewer opportunities, and a bigger challenge to stand out and cut through the noise.
And that’s where we find ourselves in 2017. The marketing landscape in the tech space is more overcrowded than ever, yet most MSP companies I speak to are still stuck in the marketing strategies of yesteryear.
How to modernize your lead generation strategy
How can you “get with the times,” you ask? Here are a few key principles for success:
- Create break-through messaging. If you can’t tell the difference between your messaging and that of every other MSP out there, neither can your prospects. Make sure you convey understanding of your target audience’s pain points in your messaging.
- Dress for success. Human brains are built to be judgemental, and we’re getting more and more sensitive to visual messaging than ever before. Ask yourself, do my company’s brand, website, and materials make us look like a forward-thinking, current, growing company? If not, you could be turning off potential customers with your outdated look.
- Think marathon, not sprint. The land grab is over. The speedy got their land. If you’re later to the game, you’re going to have to work harder and longer to get people’s attention. That’s not to say it can’t be done, but the “buy a list + send an email = lots of phone calls” days are gone. Approaching your marketing like a marathon or like investing in a 401k will help you better plan for success.
- Go niche. Buying trends are showing us that buyers love specialists, so if there are industries where you have special expertise, shine a huge spotlight on it.
- Don’t sell, educate. The best marketers think of themselves as teachers who are simply educating the prospect through the sales funnel. You do this by providing content such as videos, whitepapers, blog posts, and infographics that address the questions and concerns of your target audience.
All good on the principles and ready for the details? I’ve got you covered.
Watch the webinar: “The Anatomy of a Wildly Successful Lead Gen Campaign” where I will share in detail a step-by-step approach for lead generation. Together, we’ll bring your marketing into 2017 where it belongs!