If you are reading this, there is a good chance you are a techie, leader, or manager within an IT Managed Service provider or Tech business. The reason you started your IT services business is because of your IT background and interest in all things Tech. Your technical skills, experience, and network have brought you this far, but you’re ready to take your business to the next level.
A large percentage of IT businesses have a strong technical foundation and background. This is great, as it has allowed you to build a strong IT service offering with great client delivery and experience. However, it is also one of the many reasons you may not be reaching some of your goals for growth.
How most technical owners start their business
Often, having a technical background means you have focused on the mechanical aspects of the business. Oftentimes, that means you have a ‘build it and they will come’ mentality, concentrating on areas like:
– Technology and Tools
– Systems and Procedures
– Resources and Partners
I’m not saying these areas are not important in your business. What I am saying is these areas ARE important, but there are other areas that need to be addressed within the business that need SPECIAL attention. These areas are where you need to focus if you want to scale your business. This doesn’t just apply to IT businesses, this applies to ALL businesses: You need to build a ‘machine’ at the core of your business.
What is a ‘machine’?
The ‘machine’ will provide the business and team with the energy, drive, direction, and focus needed to start, scale, and improve your business. Areas often neglected within an IT business, but that should be at the core of your business that make up the ‘machine’ are:
– Why – Why do you get up in the morning, and why does your business exist? If you need to discover your ‘Why’ checkout: https://startwithwhy.com/
– Mission – What is the mission of your team and business? What is your short term and long-term goals?
– Niche or USP – What makes you different? Not your tech, tools, or team but what REALLY makes you stand out?
– Value – Always ask yourself ‘Will this add value to the lives of my clients?’
– Customer experience – Ensure all your technical services are backed by a world class customer experience.
– Lead generation – Often forgot, but where are your next leads coming from? Whether it be online marketing, partnership program or a lead generation company do you have a predictable lead generation plan in place?
Having a ‘machine’ at the core of your business has many benefits, some of these include:
– An aligned team, mission, and direction
– Increased motivation and energy levels
– Happier clients
– Increased referrals
– Predictable lead source
How Yellowbus Solutions changed focus and saw massive results
Being technical leaders, we experienced much of what has been discussed in this article. We built a solid business with a great IT offering, amazing technical team, and a loyal network. This was great, but when looking to scale even more we had to dig deeper.
After going through a re-discovery of our “why” and mission and focusing on the niche of become THE leading IT provider to the Nuclear & Engineering’ sectors in the UK, we saw massive results and started to gain some great referrals in the space.
Photo: Everything Possible / Shutterstock